Pre-Season Friendly

Hednesford Town

B. Wells (15), Glover (36), (75) (penalty), Evans (70),

Abadaki (71)

Bangor City

(2) 5


(0) 0



Current Form

Next Match


Joey Evans



Leicester City (H) 19.7.19

Hednesford shrug off Wednesday night's footballing lesson against Wolves U23s today with a fine attacking performance to strike five past Bangor City without reply at the PRG Stadium @ Keys Park


The Pitmen - still smarting from their 6-1 reverse in midweek - could finally call upon new goalkeeper Daniel Platt after he had returned from holiday to make his Hednesford debut. Platt was one of five changes to the side that had started against Wolves, with Matt Curley, Sam Griffiths, Joey Evans and Brad Wells all starting at the expense of Tom Crosby, Louis Ezewele, Kieran Morris, Kristian Scott and Kieran Wells


Bangor's summer had been one of disruption so far, with the second-tier Welsh side arriving in Staffordshire having been handed a huge twenty-one point deduction for the forthcoming season due to financial irregularities. Chairman Steven Vaughan Jnr. had recently named himself as manager, signing a large number of overseas players to bolster his numbers in recent times before their trip over the border


It was another pleasant afternoon in Hednesford, befitting the summer football schedule. The small crowd were once again treated to a goal glut, as the Pitmen made it twenty goals for and against in just three games so far this term with a five-star performance


The Pitmen - led today by assistant manager Mark Ward in Gary Hayward's absence - made an assertive start to the game, with Ben O'Hanlon going close to making it three goals in three games in the fourth minute of the game. James Hurst - playing in a midfield role - passed to Tom Elliott, who in turn slipped the ball into the path of Danny Glover. The striker did well to skip past a challenge from Lucas Sauber and clip the ball to the back post, where O'Hanlon headed towards goal. Bangor keeper Gabriel Brino did well to get himself across his line and turn the ball over the bar to prevent a certain goal for the left wing-back


O'Hanlon turned provider for the hosts three minutes later, picking up the ball just to the left-hand side of the Bangorpenalty area and sent over a fine cross to the back post that Wells met with his head. Once again, however, Brino was on hand to smother the ball away from goal and clear the danger


A fine passage of play from the Pitmen finally opened up the Bangor defence on fifteen minutes, with Joey Evans showing fantastic skill - not for the last time in the game - to create an opening for the hosts; his dribble on the edge of the Bangor penalty area saw him side-step two challenges before feeding it to Hurst out on the left wing. Hurst's pin-point cross found the head of Wells, standing in a similar position he was in a few minutes earlier, with the forward this time finishing well with a header back across goal and into the far corner of the net


Bangor responded with a harmless effort struck from long range from Nicolas Deluecciaio after he had seized upon a loose ball from Elliott on nineteen minutes


The visitors went even closer to levelling matters once more three minutes later, as Harry Blackburn broke through the Hednesford offside trap and struck the base of Platt's right-hand post with a low shot from twenty yards out


Another fantastic individual run from Evans on twenty-nine minutes saw him jink his way past three challenges inside the Bangor penalty area before playing the ball into the path of Glover, whose shot on the turn flew just over the crossbar


Another cross from O'Hanlon created an opening for Glover to grab his first goal since returning to the club on thirty-six minutes, as the number eleven's cross was diverted into the path of Glover courtesy of a fumble from Lewis Foster. Glover kept his composure to stroke the ball past Brino from six yards out and double the Pitmen's lead


A misjudgment from Platt almost cost the Pitmen on forty minutes, as Hednesford's new stopper showed too much of the ball to Deluecciaio by trying to dribble his way out of goal. The Bangor midfielder rescued the ball and crossed for Blackburn, who scuffed his shot high over the crossbar from eighteen yards out


In the final minute of the half, Platt made a good smothering stop with his legs to deny Blackburn once again after he had been played in on goal by a clever flick header from Eugino Zaminga


Evans had the final chance of the half, picking up a ball from Glover before dancing around three Bangor players and pulling his shot wide of the right-hand post. Hurst looked to get in on the scoring at the start of the second period as he picked up an Elliott pass on the edge of the area, only to see his shot deflected just over the bar for a Hednesford corner kick


O'Hanlon - having another fine game to add to the two previous pre-season outings - sent over a cross to another the equally impressive Evans on fifty-three minutes, with the teenager heading straight into the arms of Brino from six yards out


More magic from Evans two minutes later saw him pick up a pass from O'Hanlon before he danced past two Bangor challenges and drifted into the box. The youngster tried his luck with a low shot but saw it deflected behind for a corner kick


The Pitmen were now dominating the game, with O'Hanlon's speculative effort on fifty-six minutes looping up and landing just wide of the right-hand post as Brino scrambled across his goal


The hour mark signalled the first raft of changes from the Pitmen, with Kieran Morris coming on for Charlie Gatter and Jack Hallahan replacing Hurst in midfield. These changes were followed a few minutes later with another double change, as Jose Veiga replaced Platt in goal and Osebi Abadaki came on for Brad Wells up front


Abadaki was straight into the game with a powerful run down the left wing on seventy minutes, slipping the ball into the path of Evans on the edge of the Bangor penalty area. Evans showed great feet once again to drift past two Bangor challenges before sending Brino the wrong way with a fine effort that was placed into the far corner of the net


A minute later, the Pitmen had a fourth goal to celebrate as Abadaki struck his second goal of pre-season; Evans was involved once again, sending over a cross from the right that Glover played into the path of Abadaki. On the edge of the penalty area, the winger took a couple of touches before firing past Brino from seventeen yards out


Bangor's substitute keeper Charal Tsoufus - on for Brino following the Pitmen's fourth goal - made a fine save down to his right-hand side to deny Glover another goal with sixteen minutes remaining, turning the striker's shot behind after Griffiths had played the ball into the path of the former Nantwich man


A minute later, the hosts were handed a penalty kick after Evans' initial shot had been saved by Tsoufus and pushed to Abadaki, who in turn was fouled by Sauber as he tried to block the rebound. Glover stepped up and confidently dispatched his penalty for Hednesford's fifth of the day and his second goal since returning to the club


Two further changes followed for the Pitmen after Glover's goal, with Louis Ezewele replacing captain Ben Bailey and Liam Truslove coming on in place of Elliott with thirteen minutes remaining


Truslove nearly added to his opening day hat-trick against Heath Hayes with his first involvement in the game, striking a low shot in at goal but was denied by a fine one-handed save by Tsoufus down to his right


The Pitmen's final substitution of the game came with ten minutes remaining, as teenager Ollie Waddison was given his third game of pre-seaosn as he came on in place of Griffiths


Abadaki drilled a low shot wide of goal on eighty-two minutes before Waddison did well to turn inside the Bangor penalty area and get his shot away a minute later, only to be denied by a last-ditch challenge. The ball was not convincingly cleared by Bangor, allowing Evans to get a shot away that was also blocked before Waddison again pounced on the ball, only for his follow-up to be saved by Tsoufus


Another long-range effort from Truslove on eighty-seven minutes saw the midfielder test the reflexes of Tsoufus at his near post, claiming the ball at the second attempt


There was still time for Bangor to have a good chance to claim a consolation goal, as Massimo Sammatino lifted his shot high over Veiga's crossbar from six yards out following a superb cross-field pass from Sauber


It had been another high-scoring and highly-entertaining afternoon for the supporters to witness, with the Pitmen content at another job well done in front of goal and a clean sheet to boot. There is another step up in quality for the Pitmen to face up to next Friday night, as Leicester City's U23 side visit the PRG Stadium @ Keys Park for the first time ever in what will be another tough test along the same lines as the midweek clash against fellow Premier League outfit Wolves

Hednesford Town: Platt (Veiga 65), Curley, Griffiths (Waddison 80), Bailey © (Ezewele 77), Gatter (Morris 60), Hurst (Hallahan 60), Evans, Elliott (Truslove 77), Glover, B. Wells (Abadaki 65), O'Hanlon (Lycett 70)    Subs Unused: None


Bangor City: Brino (Tsoufus 73), Sauber, Sammatino, Palia, Foster, Deluecciaio, Zaminga, Serafino, Leghissa, Blackburn, Cliff      Subs: Bruno, Salvatore, Di Maria, Thomas


Images © copyright Pitmenweb

Images and content on this website, unless accredited, are copyright © Pitmenweb.com