F.A. Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round

Hednesford Town

Hallahan (44), Bailey (59)

Coalville Town

Berridge (86)

(1) 2

(0) 1



Current Form

Next Match


Tom Elliott



Biggleswade Town (A) 30.11.19

The Pitmen shrugged off Tuesday night's horror show at Stratford to defeat league rivals Coalville Town with relative ease this afternoon to move into the first round proper of this season's F.A. Trophy

Gary Hayward's side - smarting from their poor display at Knights Lane in midweek - saw three changes to the side that had started against Stratford, with Jack Hallahan, Sam Griffiths and Andre Brown restored to the side in place of Elliott Hodge, Osebi Abadaki and Matt Curley for this tough-looking tie

Coalville arrived at the PRG Stadium @ Keys Park off the back of a narrow defeat to struggling Lowestoft Town last weekend, leaving Adam Stevens' side sitting just below the Pitmen in the league table after suffering only their second league defeat of the season to the Trawlerboys. Stevens named former Hednesford striker Adam McGurk amongst his substitutes for this afternoon's game, despite the Northern Irishman scoring a hat-trick in their recent win over Stratford

It had been a thoroughly miserable past few days in Staffordshire, with the floodlights at Keys Park crackling into action long before the 3pm kick off. Hednesford made the brighter start to the game, with a deep cross from Ben O'Hanlon being headed wide by Kieran Morris in the third minute of the game

On-loan Andy Wycherley made the first of an array of good saves in the game two minutes late, fielding a low shot from Alex Dean after the Pitmen had failed to clear a cross from the left wing effectively

Successive corner kicks from the visitors in the ninth minute culminated in a long-range effort from Kian Taylor, driving in a shot from fully twenty-five yards out that whistled past Wycherley's left-hand post

Wycherley was again in action four minutes later, pushing away a curling shot from Kalern Thomas after the defender was afforded too much time and space to size up his effort from just outside the Hednesford penalty area

A quick break from the visitors on twenty minutes following a mistake from James Hurst saw Luke Shaw run clear of the Hednesford defence, only to poke his effort past Wycherley and agonisingly wide of the far post

A free-kick from O'Hanlon was deflected just wide of a Hednesford corner kick two minutes later, before Wycherley came to his loan club's rescue again on twenty-five minutes to make a save with his feet to deny Kairo Mitchell after Morris had let a long ball from Saul Deeney sail over his head

The impressive Shaw had Wycherley clutching at air again on the half hour mark, as his effort from thirty yards sailed just wide of Wycherley's right-hand post with the Telford stopper struggling to get across to the ball

Brown was denied a clear sight at goal by Stuart Pierpoint three minutes later, nodding the ball behind for a corner kick under pressure from the striker following a lovely chip into the box by Tom Elliott

From the resultant corner kick, Coalville partially cleared their lines until Hurst's lob back into the danger zone fell at the feet of Brown, whose low shot was brilliantly turned away by veteran stopper Deeney, diving to his right to turn the ball away from goal

The industrious Elliott was involved in the lead-up to the Pitmen's opening goal of the afternoon just before half-time, playing Glover in down the right before being fouled just outside the Coalville penalty area. The referee had the foresight of mind to allow play to continue, with Glover crossing well for Hallahan to firmly nod past Deeney from close range and give the hosts a half-time lead they barely deserved on the balance of the first-half play

The visitors emerged for the second half with purpose, forcing the Pitmen into their own third for the first few minutes of the half as they searched for a leveller. A quickly  taken free-kick from Shaw on fifty minutes found Taylor lurking on the edge of the penalty area, only for Wycherley to field his rising shot

At the other end, a through ball from Reece King on fifty-three minutes found Brown on the edge of the Coalville penalty area, stinging the hands of Deeney with a powerfully struck shot straight at the former Burton stopper

A long, rangy free-kick from O'Hanlon two minutes later found the head of Morris, whose clever flick header played Brown in behind the Coalville defence, albeit at a tight angle. Brown tried his luck, only for Pierpoint to deny him a clean strike at goal with a timely block to send the ball out for a corner kick

Another deep free kick from the Pitmen led to them doubling their lead just before the hour mark, as Elliott and O'Hanlon linked to the send a ball to the far post, where skipper Bailey headed back across the face of the Coalville goal and into the far corner of the net with a nick off the post for his third goal in the last four games

Coalville made an immediate change following the Pitmen's second goal, brining on striker Tim Berridge in place of midfielder Dean in an attempt to get themselves back into a tie that was slipping away from them

The Pitmen's first change of the afternoon came on sixty-eight minutes, with O'Hanlon once again brought off as he continued to work his way back to full fitness and was replaced by Matt Curley

A long throw from Curley on seventy minutes was flicked on by Glover at the corner of the Coalville box and into the path of strike partner Brown, whose acrobatic overhead kick flew wide of Deeney's far post

Elliott tested Deeney with fifteen minutes remaining, as he picked the ball up deep in midfield before taking the ball into space and unleashing a low shot that Deeney did well to hold at his near post

Two minutes later, the hosts made their second change of the afternoon as Izak Reid replaced Brown for the remaining minutes in a move that saw a reshuffle of the Hednesford midfield and forward line

Elliott - having another fine game for the hosts - did well to win the ball off Joe Doyle-Charles on eighty minutes before laying the ball off to midfield partner King, whose effort lacked power or precision as it drifted well wide of goal from fully twenty-five yards out

The visitors gave themselves a way back into the game through sheer persistence with four minutes remaining, as the Pitmen failed to clear their lines effectively on their own eighteen yard line, allowing Leandro Browne to play in Berridge, whose low shot did enough to beat Wycherley at his far post and bring Coalville back into contention

To offer an extra layer of security and to waste a few valuable seconds, the Pitmen made their final change of the afternoon in added time, with Kristian Scott coming on for goalscorer Hallahan in midfield

A timely block from Curley denied Berridge an equaliser in the third minute of added time, turning the striker's shot over the crossbar from six yards out after the Hednesford defence had allowed a cross to reach the substitute 

A good win for the hosts over a side that have continually been their bogey side in recent seasons, earning the club £3,750 in prize money and a spot in the hat for Monday's first round draw. National League and National League North/South sides could lie in wait for the Pitmen, with the club hoping for another attractive match such as the F.A. Cup double headers against Blyth Spartans and Boston United earlier in the season to give them another well-earned match day revenue

Hednesford Town: Wycherley, Hurst , O'Hanlon (Curley 68), Bailey ©, Morris, Griffiths, Hallahan (Scott 90), King , Glover, Elliott , Brown (Reid 77)   Subs Unused: Gatter, Chambers, Hodge, Fry

Coalville Town: Deeney, Pierpoint, Storey , Towers ©, Thomas, Doyle-Charles, Dean (Berridge 60), Shaw, Taylor Mitchell, McGlinchey (Browne 76)      Subs Unused: McGurk, Davidson, Bowles

Images © copyright Pitmenweb

Images and content on this website, unless accredited, are copyright © Pitmenweb.com