Reece Styche | forward




Sutton Coldfield
6ft 1"


Highly experienced striker and current Gibraltar International who rejoined the Pitmen in May 2021 after twelve seasons away from Keys Park

Originally with Castle Vale in Birmingham, he moved to Keys Park and was a member of the highly successful Hednesford Town youth team that has won a number of honours between 2005 and 2006. Styche was rewarded for his exploits with a call-up to the first team and two appearances on the substitute's bench, the second one on the final day of the UniBond Premier League season at Kendal Town in April 2007; he replaced the injured Justin Jenkins during the first half, before rattling in a brace to help the Pitmen to a 3-2 win


Manager Phil Starbuck gave Styche a run in the side during pre-season, and the youngster shone in all the games he played in. After serving a suspension carried over from the previous season, Styche returned to the first team in September 2007, scoring four goals as the Pitmen demolished Boldmere St. Michaels in the Birmingham Senior Cup. However, he suffered a nasty break in the next game, snapping his metatarsal which ruled him out for three months  

He broke down a second time whilst recovering from the metatarsal break which set him back further two months. Styche finally returned to the Hednesford side in a 3-2 win over Gateshead in March 2008, but after three games in the side his injury curse struck again, breaking his fibia late on in a game against Matlock Town which ended his season

After missing the 2008-2009 pre-season due to his recovery, he appeared briefly as a substitute at the start of the season, before the Pitmen gave him the opportunity to get some first-team football under his belt by sending him out to British Gas Southern League Midlands side Bromsgrove Rovers on a month's loan in September 2008. He made four substitute appearances whilst at the Victoria Ground, scoring against AFC Sudbury before returning to Keys Park

With manager Dean Edwards blessed with the likes of Ross Dyer, Tyrone Barnett and Elliott Durrell up front, Styche was allowed to leave the club without really proving his worth to Edwards and joined UniBond Division One South side Grantham Town in October 2008. Four months later, he joined Grantham's league rivals Coalville and played a dozen times for the Ravens before the end of the season

Styche was on the move again in the summer of 2009, joining another step four side in the form of Shepshed Dynamo. After three months, he returned to South Staffordshire with a move to Hednesford's near neighbours Chasetown, where he hit form with ten goals in ten starts for the Scholars

This goalscoring form caught the interest of teams higher up the pyramid, with Blue Square Premier Forest Green Rovers snapping the player up in January 2010 in a move that also reunited him with his former Hednesford strike partner Dyer. Styche scored twice on his debut, a 3-2 win over Hayes & Yeading after coming on as a substitute

After agreeing a contract extension for the following season, Styche ended a successful 2010-2011 season as the club's top scorer at step one and a call-up to the England C squad against Portugal U23

The summer of 2011 saw Luton Town make a bid for the player, which was rejected by Forest Green. The player was offered a new long-term contract to ward off any more unwanted interest in him from other Football League clubs. However, as has been the way throughout the striker's career. injury struck at the wrong time as he suffered a serious knee injury in October 2011 that kept him out for the remainder of the season

2012-2013 saw Styche start well after recovering from injury, scoring twice in his first two games and getting back to form and fitness until another serious injury in February 2013 kept him out for a further six months as he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament and required surgery

He returned in October 2013 and spent a spell on the bench before getting back into the side in January 2014 with a goal in a 6-2 demolition of Hyde. A few days later, he was given his big Football League chance as Wycombe Wanderers took Styche on loan until the end of the season. He made fourteen appearances at Adams Park but failed to score and returned to Forest Green

At around the same time as his move to Wycombe, Styche was called up to the Gibraltar national team for the first time; head coach Allen Bula had identified the player as a target after getting news that the player qualified to play for them through his grandmother and called him up the following month to make the first of nearly thirty appearances for his adopted country to date against the Faroe Islands and Estonia 

With his long-term deal at Forest Green at an end, Styche was released in May 2014 and signed for Vanarama Conference side Kidderminster Harriers, making his first appearance for Harriers in a pre-season friendly at Keys Park in July 2014 against the Pitmen

After a handful of appearances at Aggborough, he was loaned to Vanarama Conference North side Tamworth. After scoring on his debut, Styche impressed at the Lamb, scoring twice in five starts before returning to Aggborough

A further loan to Tamworth followed in January 2015, remaining with the Lambs on a long-term loan deal until the end of the season. He was a hit once again, scoring four goals in ten starts alongside long-term strike partner Dyer once more 

Another successful pre-season with Kidderminster saw him start the season back in the team until he was loaned to league rivals Macclesfield Town in October 2015 on a three-month loan. His form at Moss Rose saw the Silkmen sign him on a permanent, short-term deal until the end of the season

Despite the offer of a one-year extension on the table from Macclesfield, Styche signed for league rivals Gateshead on a one-year deal. After a three-month loan at Vanarma National League North Nuneaton Town, he was released from his contract in January 2017 after struggling with travelling to Tyneside and signed for Tamworth on a permanent deal until the end of the season, which was extended into the 2017-2018 season after a prolific end to the campaign

In November 2017, Styche returned to the North-East with a move to Tamworth's league rivals Darlington, who were struggling towards the foot of the table. His eleven goals were a major factor in Darlo surviving the drop at the end of the season. He was offered a new deal by Darlington for the following season, which was duly signed but was allowed to move to another National League North side in the form of Alfreton Town early in the new season for financial reasons

Another good return of eleven goals in nineteen starts for the Reds saw Alfreton finished in the relative safety of mid-table, although Styche was on the move once more in May 2019 with a move to yet another National League North club in the form of Hereford. His first goal for Gilbratar came in November 2019, as he grabbed a goal against Switzerland in a Euro 2020 qualifier

Styche made the move to Southern League Central high-flyers  Bromsgrove Sporting at the worst possible time in February 2020, as the coronavirus pandemic was just about to hit hard and eventually void the whole 2019-2020 season

With football starting up for the following season in 2020-2021, Styche made the move to big-spending Buxton as one of their most high-profile signings. However, once again the pandemic was to have the last say and the season was brought to a halt after only a handful of games and subsequently voided once more. Styche did score his second international goal during this time, scoring against Montenegro in March 2021

In May 2021, Styche made a return to Keys Park as his career came full circle with a move back to where it had all started at Hednesford, now managed by his former Pitmen youth team colleague Keenen Meakin-Richards

* Denotes playing records removed after 2019/20 and 2020/21 seasons were voided due to coronavirus pandemic