Zamaretto Southern Premier League

Hednesford Town

Hurren (10) (penalty), Robinson (28), (48), (54), (66), Carey-Bertram (36), (58), (69), Brown (87)


(3) 9

(0) 0



Current Form

Next Match


Marvin Robinson


Bedford Town (A) 30.10.10

It's the kind of game you only ever witness once in a generation as Hednesford Town set club records left, right and centre with a second-half demolition job over bottom club Weymouth at Keys Park this afternoon

Following four fairly uninspiring games under the new management team of Rob Smith and Larry Chambers, the duo made more changes to their side, with AFC Telford United loanee Danny Carey-Bertram available again after being ineligible to play in last week's F.A. Trophy game against Whitby - he replaced the now departed Kyle Patterson, who had joined Scott Fuller and Jimmy Turner in leaving the club this week. He also welcomed Cheyenne Dunkley back into the side at the expense of Jamey Osborne, who dropped to the bench

It had been a rotten campaign thus far for the Terras, who sat rock bottom of the Zamaretto Premier League following a run of defeats earlier in the campaign that had left them adrift. However, a recent run of form had seen the Terras win their last three games in all competitions, including a 3-1 win over Tiverton Town in midweek. Manager Ian Hutchinson made only one change to the side that had beaten Tiverton as Rob Wolleaston replaced Matt Wright

An overcast afternoon in South Staffordshire started with no real indication of what was to come, as both sides started cautiously. Recent signing Marvin Robinson was first to signal his intent, heading well over from a Clements free kick on six minutes

Robinson's first meaningful contribution on ten minutes was to blow the game open, as his power and persistence earned the Pitmen a penalty kick. John Litherland tried to hold off the challenge of the big man but succeeded in bringing him down. Gavin Hurren placed the ball on the spot before firing high to Weymouth keeper Tom Manley's left to open the scoring

The goal gave Hednesford real confidence, with Clements orchestrating the play from his midfield position. On seventeen minutes, the youngster tested Manley's reflexes with a trademark long-range shot that brought a brilliant one-handed save from the Terras number one

Robinson and Carey-Bertram were linking well as they looked to find an understanding - this was the Pitmen's fifth striking partnership already this season, and the early signs were promising. Carey-Bertram went agonisingly close to doubling the Pitmen's lead mid-way through the half, as Clements headed the ball into his path to allow him to fire in a shot that came back off the post

Weymouth were struggling to hold on, and the inevitable second goal arrived just before the hour mark. Clements was again involved, playing a smart ball into the path of Jay Denny. His run into the area saw him lift the ball over the advancing Manley but watched as his clever effort came back off the crossbar. Robinson gambled with a run towards and was on hand to tap home the rebound from a yard out

The Pitmen were playing with real confidence in all departments, with the defence giving no inch to the young Terras attack. Hurren's tireless work in front of the defence was allowing Denny and Clements to support the front men, who were full of running. A third goal was in the offing and arrived nine minutes before half time

Manley and defender Ben Gerring made a terrible hash of a clearance, getting into an awful tangle as they looked to clear the ball away from Carey-Bertram. The duo only succeeded in allowing the ball to fall into the path of the AFC Telford player, who fired the gift home from close range

Clements played in a superb free-kick on forty minutes that found the head of Ben Bailey, but the centre back headed over the crossbar at the far post

If the first half had been an impressive showing, the second half was simply sensational; Weymouth capitulated in a twenty-minute purple patch that saw the Pitmen score at will

The home side's fourth goal of the day was scored just three minutes after the restart - Denny was again involved going forward, picking out Robinson with an inch-perfect ball. The big striker brought the ball down before firing low under Manley from ten yards out

The Pitmen's supporters could barely get their breath as the Pitmen grabbed a fifth goal on fifty-four minutes. Hurren was the provider this time, playing the ball over the Weymouth defence to find Robinson, who at this point seemed unplayable. His power got him away from his marker before he finished with aplomb past Manley for his hat-trick goal

Smith decided to make a double substitution at this point, bringing on the pacy Simon Brown for Sean Platt and youngster Darren Campion for Aaron Gibson at left-back

Brown's introduction was to prove a masterstroke, as his half-hour cameo made life unbearable for Weymouth down the right flank. Two minutes after coming on, his brilliant ball played Carey-Bertram in on the right-hand corner of the area, with the in-form striker firing a powerful shot beyond Manley and into the roof of the net to make it six nil

And still, there was more on sixty-six minutes as Brown's pace saw him drift past Alex Halloran, creating enough space for him to send over a perfect cross to Robinson, who did the honours by heading past Manley to make it four for him and seven for the delirious Pitmen

Robinson was denied further goals, and Weymouth denied further punishment, a minute later as Smith decided to take him off, with the big man receiving a standing ovation from all sides of the stadium; he was replaced by Osbourne

The final goal in this incredible spell was scored on sixty-nine minutes, with Carey-Bertram grabbing a third goal of his own. Brown was again involved, whipping the ball into the near post, where Carey-Bertram, Manley and Gerring all went to meet the ball. Good fortune favoured the hosts yet again, as Carey-Bertram's touch took the ball past Manley and into the corner of the net

Brown's excellent game was soured ever so slightly on seventy-three minutes, as he somehow contrived to miss a simple tap-in at the far post after being teed up by fellow substitute Osborne

The same player went closer still two minutes later, cutting in from the wing and dancing around Halloran to create the opening for himself. Rather than square the ball to Carey-Bertram, he opted to shoot but fired inches wide of the far post with a shot across the face of Manley's goal

Every attack looked as though it could end in a goal, and Carey-Bertram again got in behind the Weymouth defence on eighty minutes, but made a terrible hash of his shot and screwed it wide of goal and into the Heath Hayes terrace

The scoring in this amazing game was completed with three minutes remaining; Brown made another run into the box before lifting the ball over Manley and curling the ball into the far corner of the net for an exquisite ninth goal - no less than the substitute had deserved for his efforts

A simply outstanding result for the Pitmen, and one that will be talked about for many years to come. It's now a test of Smith's management skills to keep the players' feet on the ground and build upon this at Bedford Town next Saturday as the Pitmen look to build on the astonishing ninety minutes of football


Hednesford Town: Crane, Platt © (Brown 56), Gibson (Campion 56), Bailey, Francis, Dunkley, Denny, Clements, Robinson (Osborne 67), Carey-Bartram, Hurren       Subs Not Used: Keenan, Carter


Weymouth: Manley, Oldring, Halloran, Clarke, Gerring, Litherland (Whyton 67), Groves, MacGookin, Wolleaston (Charles 51), Byerley, King (Ironside 62)       Subs Unused: Hutchison, Byfield

Images © copyright Pitmenweb