Evo-Stik Northern Premier League

Hednesford Town

Worksop Town

Beeson (38) (penalty), (55), Denton (68), Young (89)

(0) 0

(1) 4



Current Form

Next Match


Elliott Durrell


Nuneaton Griff (A) 22.9.12

Hednesford's superb start to the new season came to a shuddering halt this evening at Keys Park, as Worksop Town gave the Pitmen a lesson in finishing to record their first away win of the campaign in the process

Following Saturday's magnificent battling win at Chorley, manager Rob Smith stuck with the same side that won in Lancashire, coming up against a Tigers side that were beaten last week by Stafford Rangers and had lost all three away games to date

Despite this, Worksop turned up with a game plan that put the Pitmen under real pressure, turning the form book on its head in the process. Dan Crane had to be alert as early as the second minute to make a save from loanee Sam Denton, as the giant Alfreton striker fired goalwards

Hednesford responded immediately, with the in-form Nathan Woolfe sending out a warning to the Worksop defence with a curling shot from the left that narrowly cleared the crossbar

A Woolfe corner kick on seven minutes caused chaos in the Worksop ranks, dropping invitingly into the six-yard box but was hacked clear before any one of four Hednesford players could react

 The Pitmen continued to have the better of the early exchanges, with Saturday's goal hero Alex Melbourne getting into position to fire in a shot from the edge of the penalty area that was palmed away by veteran Worksop keeper Paul Bastock

Crane was involved again on twenty minutes, making an excellent save to deny Lee Beeson after good work down the Worksop left put the midfielder in on goal

The Hednesford defence was finding life increasingly difficult in dealing with the giant Worksop striker Tom Denton, who had joined the Tigers on loan from Alfreton Town. The 6ft 6" striker linked the play well between midfield and attack, using his physical threat to good effect

After starting the season well in front of goal, Elliott Durrell was looking to get back on the goal trail after a goalless game on Saturday. Midway through the first half, a bustling run from the midfielder saw him unleash a long-range effort that dipped a swerved, but cleared the crossbar by a matter of inches

Denton was involved again for Worksop on twenty-seven minutes, forcing Crane into a difficult claim as a free-kick from the right was floated in towards Denton's vicinity

Worksop's positive approach to the game, playing the ball forwards with pace, bore fruit seven minutes before half time; Leon Mettam attempted to step past Francino Francis as he shaped to shoot, only for the bog defender to check his run as he tried to create space. The referee felt there was enough contact to award the away side a penalty, which Beeson placed past Crane with ease to give Worksop the lead at half time

Looking for a reaction after the break, Hednesford drove forward and created chances through MacPherson and Durrell. MacPherson's driving run on fifty-one minutes saw him fire wide of goal, with the aid of a slight deflection. A minute later, Durrell's low drive was easily claimed by Bastock at his near post

Despite starting brightly, the Pitmen were hot by a sucker punch from Worksop just before the hour mark. A quick break down the right-wing saw Mettam flick the ball into the path of Beeson, who placed the ball into the net from close range

The Pitmen responded immediately with Aaron Rey introduced in place of John Disney, pushing another player up front alongside the disappointing Neil Harvey and Michael Lennon. Rey really should have pulled the Pitmen back into the game just a few seconds after coming on, somehow heading Durrell's wicked free-kick wide of goal when it looked easier to score

It got even worse for the hosts on sixty-eight minutes, as MacPherson lost out in a 50-50 challenge with Beeson. His right-wing cross was met by Denton to slide home a deserved third goal for the Tigers

That was MacPherson's final action in the game, as the midfielder was replaced three minutes later by a summer signing for the under 21 side, Ben Watkis

The Pitmen's hapless evening was perhaps summed up sixteen minutes from time, as a cross from Woolfe was begging to be headed home by a number of players queuing up to head the ball home. However, Francis and Rey decided to leave the ball to each other and allow the cross to drift away from goal

 Another one of the Pitmen's under 21 players was introduced into first-team action for the first time on seventy-six minutes, as Rico Taylor was given a run in place of Lennon, who had been a virtual spectator for much of the game

Substitute Rey - still looking for his first Hednesford goal - thought he had his crucial maiden goal on seventy-nine minutes after turning home Woolfe's cross, but a marginal offside flag denied the former Marine man his moment

Worksop wrapped up a superb performance, and a thoroughly miserable evening for the Hednesford supporters standing in the second half drizzle, with a fourth goal in the final minute of the game. Excellent play down the right saw Matt Young unleash a brilliant swerving shot that flew past Crane and found the far corner of the net

A really bad day at the office for the Pitmen, then, and a wake-up call for Smith's side ahead of a potential banana skin when they visit Nuneaton Griff in the F.A. Cup on Saturday

Hednesford Town: Crane, Disney (Rey 63), Campion, Bailey, Francis, MacPherson © (Watkis 71), Melbourne , Durrell, Harvey, Lennon (Taylor 76), Woolfe      Subs Unused: Barnes, O’Connor

Worksop Town: Bastock, Clark, Wood, Young, Ludlum ©, Miller , Beeson (Warlow 89), Towers , Denton (Menga 77), Mettam (Modest 81), King      Subs Unused: McDonald, Hawes